Remember that ice bucket challenge that went viral a couple years back? (This is still my all-time favorite challenge video, by the way — few things in this world are funnier than a cursing British toddler.)
If you remember, the whole point of the ice bucket challenge was to raise awareness about ALS — commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease — a currently incurable and debilitating nervous system disorder that progressively weakens the muscles to the point where people with the condition are no longer able to walk, dress, speak, or even breathe on their own.
May is ALS Awareness Month, but this year, you can keep the ice in the freezer and put away your buckets, and support the cause by patronizing the 10 Baltimore area restaurants that are participating in the Brigance Brigade Foundation’s ALS Bites! campaign. Each restaurant has selected/created a special menu or drink item for the campaign, and a portion of the proceeds goes to the foundation, which supports people battling ALS.
Right here in Columbia, The Turn House created a special cocktail — The Good Work Cocktail. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet — but considering how much I’ve enjoyed their other cocktails, I’m sure it’s a winner.
Here’s a full list of participating restaurants and their offerings:
- Abbey Burger Bistro – Shrimp Eggroll
- Federal Hill:1041 Marshall St, Baltimore, MD 21230
- Fells Point:811 S Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231
- Blue Hill Tavern – Crispy Calamari Salad: 938 S Conkling St, Baltimore, MD 21224
- Looney’s Pub – J. Crush and Brigance Steak & Cake Sandwich: 2900 O’Donnell Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
- Miss Shirley’s Café- Fresh Squeezed O.J. & Shirley’s Summer Lovin’ O.J. Crush
- Annapolis: 1 Park Place, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Inner Harbor: 750 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Roland Park: 513 W. Cold Spring Ln, Baltimore, MD 21210
- Newk’s Eatery – Newk’s Q Sandwich: 1360 Main Chapel Way, Gambrills, MD 21054
- Ristorante Firenze – J. Cello Martini and HerO Cake:2 Hanover Rd, Reisterstown, MD 21136
- The BoatHouse Canton, Waterfront Grille – The Raven’s Crush: 2809 Boston St, Baltimore, MD 21224
- The Milton Inn – Goetze’s Caramel Apple Martini: 14833 York Rd, Sparks, MD 21152
- The Turn House – The Good Work Cocktail: 11130 Willow Bottom Drive, Columbia, MD 21044
- Vagabond Sandwich Company – The Brigance Burger: 111 Thomas St, Bel Air, MD 21014
The campaign runs through the end of May, so there’s still plenty of time to get out there and raise money for the cause. To learn more about the Brigance Brigade Foundation, you can follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Be sure to share photos using the hashtag #ALSBites!